Day 1 (Feb. 16): The Arrival

Our morning started with an excited anticipation of our upcoming adventure! Personally, I had never been to Central America and for even those who had, it was a new chapter, a new perspective on our call to serve. I have to admit, this anticipation was accompanied by much yawning, red eyes and that blurred vision you have when trying to leave for the airport at 3am, a small price to pay for what I'm sure will be an unforgettable experience.

That first glimpse of Nicaragua as the plane started its descent was powerful, when all the abstract facts about this wonderful place we discussed over the last two weeks became a reality. Volcanoes and mountains revealing a geological history, modern buildings and cars, isolated homes and shanties telling a different story. It is still hard to imagine that some people of Nicaragua subsist on less than $1.25 US dollars a day. A single pack of gum...your gym membership may be more than one spends in a year! Surely puts things into perspective.

One thing that stands out in places we find so destitute is the people:  the vibrant yellows, oranges, reds and greens tell a different story. There may be more life and happiness than we sometimes find in our sterile world. That's part of he draw, what I want to be a part of, what I'm thinking about as I settle into my temporary home, the tortuga booluda (or the lazy tortoise) with my temporary family. There are star fruits and limes in our courtyard. It's warm and sunny and I'm relaxing with my feet up watching a gecko watching me and thinking about what I will see and who I will meet tomorrow.