Day 11 (Feb. 26): Final Hours, Final Thoughts

Think of a pristine environment that has never seen human footprints and what an impact people have when they settle that area. Species become extinct and that lansdcape changes forever. Globally, we just learned that the last Bengali tiger was killed and what a sense of loss I felt knowing that those majestic creatures will never roam the earth again.


I hope that my trip to Nicaragua did not have that kind of negative impact. Did local people's perspective on their own life change when they laid their eyes upon me and my colleagues? Did they suddenly see what they don't have because I am there? Because I saw the beauty of their caring community which I do not have in the States? In the end, I hope my curiosity and giving nature does not take a piece of someone's personal light, their hope.


Not only did our trip to Nicaragua create a new lens in which to view our own world, but we grew as a family. As we sat around a round dining table in Managua discussing our final "ah-ha" moments and general issues we had with the trip, we realized how extraordinary our team had performed. There were so few things we wanted to change and how minute those details were.


I want to use this space to dedicate a few lines to the integral roles we each played. Not only a necessity, but definitely a source of humor. If you want to know more about global health, please contact one of us or embark on your own service adventure!


My tribute to the 2012 global health family: Dr. Anna Doubeni, mother hen, leader and global health guru:  Monica Agarwal, PGY-1, collector of fine pottery; Christopher Chang, PGY-1, the human calculator and assistant to the sandwich maker extraordinaire; Shannon Demas (aka "Shannon Pocket, Polly Pocket") impromptu discotheque DJ; Serena Hon, PGY-1, "trip snactician" and sandwich maker extraordinaire; Stephanie Muriglan, PGY-1, blogger with some difficulty standing upright.


Brendan Scanlon: lo alto y blanco, photo journalist and future Quesillo salesman; Jason Schweitzer, our "voice" giving us real insight into Nicaraguan culture